There are only about 2.000 barristers in active practice in England. According to one judge only about 400 of these make regular active appearances in the High Court; the others are either located in provincial centres or are only marginally involved in the practice of law. Clients do not go to barristers for legal advice. The client must first go to his solicitor who will then select a barrister to be briefed in the case.
Every barrister is a member of the four Inns of Court. Although the Inns provide a semblance of legal education in the form of formal lectures, many applicants now receive their legal education at universities.
After admission to the bar and a short period of apprenticeship a barrister must practice on his own, the aspiring young barrister must not only be able to finance his legal education and a period of pupilage, but also must be able to support himselfs during those first few years of practice when litte business comes his way. Once he does succeed.
After fifteen or twenty years of a successful barrister may apply to become Queen’s Counsel. Thus it is sometimes called "taking silk"(to wear a silk gown). It is recognition of his distinction in the bar, which is awarded by the Lord Chancellor.
Barristers are the court-room lawyers, whose wigs and robes are familiar to anyone who has seen motion pictures or stage plays about English trials, without their participation very important cases are not decided.
II. Составьте предложения со словосочетаниями: a period of apprenticeship, to be briefed in the case, very important case.
III. Дайте комментарий к глаголу "to apply", составьте свои предложения, используя англо-русский и русско-английский словари.
IV. Найдите русские эквиваленты следующих слов:provincial centres, to be involved in the practice of law, after admission to the bar, a barrister must practice on his own, the court-room lawyer, to be awarded, with a participation of smb.
V. Найдите в тексте английские эквиваленты следующих слов и выражений: быть знакомым каждому, получать образование в университете, иметь активную частную практику, сначала нужно обратиться к поверенному, период работы помощником (испытательный срок), преуспеть.
VI. Ответьте на вопросы:
1. What means “taking silk”?
2. By whom is the recognition of the barrister’s distinction in the bar awarded?
3. How many barristers have active practice in England?
4. What was the most popular way of receiving the legal education former?
5. How many years does it usually take to be success?
VII. Согласитесь или не согласитесь со следующими высказываниями:
1. After 5 years of a successful barrister may apply to become Queen’s Counsel.
2. According to one judge only about 400 of the barristers make regular active appearances in the High Court.
3. Clients go to barristers for legal advice.
4. After admission to the bar and a short period of apprenticeship a barrister must practice on his own.
5. Only few barristers are members of the four Inns of Court.
Дата добавления: 2015-01-29; просмотров: 10 | Нарушение авторских прав