Decide how useful the text is for your purposes.
Decide how you will make use of the text.
Form the adjectives and nouns from the following verbs.
extract pump refine recover produce drill trap
Find the Russian equivalents to the following terms.
|1.underground pockets||7.frozen wastes|
|4.recovery factor||10.drill vertically|
|5.production||11.freely flowing wells|
|6.underwater production systems||12.edges of a reservoir|
Match the words with their definitions.
|1.recovery factor||A. a plant where crude oil is separated and transformed into marketable products|
|2. economically viable||B. recover, extract|
|3. reservoir||C. means of oil transportation|
|4. refinery||D. the amount of oil that can be economically extracted|
|5. produce||E. quantity, quality and safety transportation of oil to a refinery|
|6. trap||F. a porous and permeable underground formation containing natural accumulation of producible hydrocarbons|
|7. pipeline||G. underground reservoir that prevents the escape of oil contained in it|
Work in pairs. Ask your partner the following questions.
1. What team is needed to solve the problem of production?
2. Who usually estimates the quality and quantity of oil in a reservoir?
3. What is the reason of an increased recovery factor?
4. Is crude oil the only hydrocarbon found in a reservoir?
5. Does reservoir pressure cause problems?
6. Why is pumping so necessary?
7. What is the way to increase pressure?
8. Does oil in one reservoir differ from that of the other one?
9. What does oil look like?
10. What do production and transport methods depend on?
11. Where is it cheaper to drill oil?
12. Why are platforms situated high above the surface of the sea?
13. Is it necessary to install a platform offshore?
14. What is the only way of getting oil to the recovery? Why?
15. If you want to reach the edges of the reservoir, what will you do?
Exercise 12. 9 Video.
A) You will hear a lecture on Petroleum Engineers Job. For statements 1 - 10 complete the notes that summarize what the speaker says. You will need to write a word or a short phrase in each box.
|1. To find new supplies of these we depend on petroleum engineers.|
|2. They the world for reservoirs containing oil or natural gas.|
|3. They with geologists and other specialists to extract oil.|
|4. The the map of the underground.|
|5. The a drilling method.|
|6. Petroleum engineers also develop|
|7. are used to force out the oil and natural gas.|
|8. is often used to explore drilling and extraction options in techniques.|
|9. You’ll need problem solving skills.|
|10. You’ll need with the team on highly detailed plans.|
Дата добавления: 2015-09-10; просмотров: 7 | Нарушение авторских правAcquisition of Seismic Data | SHOT HOLE | WORDLIST | APPENDIX. Use the table to tell about the four major geophysical methods used in oil exploration. | Oil exploration | How to Find Oil | Form adjectives and nouns from the following verbs. | Geological Prospecting | Find the answers to the following questions. | OIL EXTRACTION |