Mendeleyev, the great Russian scientist, was the first chemist who showed elements arranged according to a definite system. Mendeleyev’s system is called the Periodic Law. The Periodic Law as stated by Mendeleyev is of great importance for science. It allowed to put into one orderly table almost all known chemical elements and enabled Mendeleyev to makes several bold suppositions, proved later by experiments. The Russian chemist was obliged to leave several blanks in order to put elements of similar properties in the same group. These blanks stood for undiscovered elements. Mendeleyev predicted not only the existence of these elements but their physical and chemical properties as well; He predicted the properties of what he called eko-aluminium, which, when finally discovered was called gallium. Titanium, discovered 40 years after Mendeleyev's death, found its place in the great scientist's periodic table. The first amount of titanium produced, when examined indicated that the metal had promising properties.
There are large deposits of titanium located all over the world. "Ilmenite" is the name given to titanium, for the Ilmen mountains in the Urals are very rich in this metal. Engineers find wide use for this high-strength metal and prefer it to aluminum which loses its strength rapidly when subjected to high temperatures. Titanium is one of the most useful structural materials applied for making ships, airplanes, cars, etc.
8. Прочитайте и переведите словосочетания, обращая внимание на Participle I и Participle II:
a) the student attending all the lectures, the plan containing many details; the workers building a new house; the engineer using a new method; the car developing the speed of 80 km; the plant producing machinery; the growing population of the country; the student studying foreign languages; the young man entering the institute; the engineer carrying out the research;
b) using new methods; constructing new machines; achieving good results, dividing into ten parts; discovering new lands; using new equipment; refusing to give an explanation; receiving important Information; constructing new roads; moving at high speed; leaving the town; graduating from the institute;
c) the achieved results; all developed countries; the apple divided into three parts; the information obtained recently; the railway built between the two towns; the boy saved by this dog; the methods offered by the young specialist; the lecture read by a well-known professor; the research made in the laboratory; the film shown to the students; the letter sent to his parents; the books left on the table; the news brought by him; the land discovered by Columbus.
9. Заполните пропуски определением, выраженным первым или вторым
1) а ... letter (receiving, received); 2) a ... text (translating, translated);
3) a ... document (signing, signed); 4) a professor ... (examining, examined) students; 5) a ... application (submitting, submitted); 6) The quality of the goods ... at the mill depends upon the skill of the workers ... (producing, produced); 7) A number of ... wagons with ... goods stood along the platform (transporting, transported); 8) Our rivers ... by canals form a system of water ways ... many seas of our country (connecting, connected); 9) The bottle with two liquids ... stood on the table (mixing, mixed).
10. Заполните пропуски причастиями I или II (от глаголов, данных в
скобках) в зависимости от смысла и переведите предложения.
1. The instruments ... on the table belong to Dr. Brown (to leave). 2. A barometer is an instrument ... atmospheric pressure (to measure). 3. There are different kinds of plants ... in the Polar regions (to grow). 4. The work ... by the scientists on the ... ice is of great importance (to do, to drift). 5. She new canals ... the rivers form good water-ways (to join). 6, The results ... varied with the material (to obtain, to use). 7. The book ... on the table belongs to my father (to lie). 8. They noticed a cloud of smoke ... into the air (to rise ) 9. The experiment ... by this scientist was a success (to make). 10. The problem ... by this student was very difficult (to solve).
11. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на перевод Participle I и
Participle II. Ответьте на вопросы.
1. Do we drink boiling water or boiled water? 2. Does a factory owner belong to the exploiting or exploited class? 3. Does a student belong to training or trained people? 4. Who feels more nervous at the examination: examining or examined people? 5. What is more dangerous: to cross a freezing or a frozen river? 6. Which are more beautiful: flowers growing in the field or grown in a garden? 7. Does a housewife keep in the sun drying or dried clothes? 8. Does an archeologist study existing cultures, or cultures existed thousands of years ago? 9. What does the chemist usually examine: the liquid filling the bottle, or the bottle filled with it?
12. Переведите предложения на английский язык, используя причастия
там, где это возможно.
1. Будьте внимательны, когда ведете машину. 2. На листе бумаги было несколько строк, написанных карандашом. 3. Получив телеграмму, моя сестра немедленно выехала в Глазго. 4. Я не знаю человека, говорящего по телефону. 5. Уехав вечером, мы прибыли в город в 6 утра. 6. Полученное известие взволновало всех. 7. Я оставила ей записку, не застав ее дома. 8. Чувствуя усталость, они решили передохнуть. 9. Я не запомнил имя человека, звонившего вам вчера. 10. Мы сидели на террасе, наслаждаясь чудесным видом гор, окружающих наш отель.
Дата добавления: 2014-12-20; просмотров: 32 | Нарушение авторских прав